Yoga is an amazing system of healing for the body mind and spirit, it has been around for thousands of years. While some of it's practices can seem esoteric and weird, or like only fit people can do it; it is really a system for every body. If you can breath, you can do yoga! The following will give you a brief idea of the outline of what yoga is.
Yoga is able to address the body mind and spirit through the Pancha Maya Kosha model and the 8 limbed path.
So what is the Pancha Maya Kosha model you ask? The Kosha's are the energetic layers of our body mind and spirit. There are 5 of them:
- Anamaya Kosha this is our physical layer. We will use Asana to help our tissues relax and engage in a healthy way
- Pranamaya Kosha this is the energetic layer accessed by our breath. We will use Pranayama to help our nervous system.
- Manomaya Kosha the intellect and mind layer. We will use mantras and meditation to calm our minds.
- Vijnanamaya Kosha the wisdom body. Learning about pelvic health and the pain system in the body will bring us wisdom and knowledge.
- Anandamaya Kosha the bliss body. Connecting to our spirit and bringing balance to our soul.
Each of the koshas influence the other from the gross Anamaya (body) to the finite Anandamaya (spirit). This model will inform our practice and guide us in what you need to heal and bring balance.
The 8 limbed path is a guide to our yogic path:
- Asana The physical practice of Yoga
- Yama How we treat others
- Niyama How we treat ourselves
- Pranayama Breath practices
- Pratyahara Inner focus
- Dharana Concentration
- Dhyana Meditation
- Samadhi Inner Bliss
Weaving the Pancha Maya Kosha model and the 8 limbed path together brings healing to our whole selves.